Thursday, June 2, 2011

It's a Dance-Dance-Revolution

As a precursor to this post, I'd like to say that I love to dance. I enjoy ballet, contemporary, and jazz, but mostly I like to get out on a dance floor and flail to whatever the DJ puts on, whether I know the words or not. There are not many places in St. Augustine in which to do that sort of thing, but I assure you I'll point out some of them on here in due time. For now, though, I focus on dance itself. Dancing is elating. Dancing is freeing and fun and...another "f" word that would round this sentence out marvelously. Fantastical is too much...

In any case, dance is perfect for a person like me who loves to work out but hates to sweat. A person, also, who likes going to the gym, but never knows what to do once I get there. A person, finally, who wants to move and lose some weight, but wants to do so in the comfort of the airconditioning. I also hate running.

This brings me to Zumba. Zumba is a revolution. Do you remember when your mom used to go to Jazzercize every Saturday morning and you'd watch her and all of her friends through the partition glass as they would "sweat to the oldies" in their leotards and hair bands? Zumba is just like that...except much, much (much) cooler.

Zumba combines latin dance, hip hop, jazz, and aerobics into a conglomerate of heart-pumping, non-stop, dance-party-like exercise. It's a freakin' BLAST! I went to my first class this morning at Anastasia Athletic Club on Anastasia Island.

I'd been to the club before a few years ago for a yoga class here and there. Back then, the guest rate was $5 if you came with a club member. Now it's $10 (eek!). Now, ten bucks is not a whole lot of money for an exercise class, but I'm a college student. An exceptionally poor college student. I'm keeping this blog this summer instead of getting a real job (don't tell anyone). But! Wonder of wonders: they have a 7 day trial membership special! The guy behind the counter asked if I was from "here," which I'm assuming can mean either St. Augustine or St. Johns County, and gave me a little slip of paper on which to fill out my trial membership information. So, between now and seven days from now I can visit up to 3 times, which is perfect since my friends go to Zumba every Tuesday and Thursday.

What will I do after my trial membership is over? I might fork out the ten dollars a couple of times around, but more likely I will bounce around to other gyms in town to see if they also have free trial memberships, because HOW COOL IS THAT?! That's a great way to help out college students, let alone a great way for people to see how great your gym is.

And Anastasia Athletic Club really is a great gym...it's just a great gym for people with jobs and money. If you have both of those things, you should check it out! If not, at least find a Zumba class somewhere, I feel like I could kick BUTT right now! Woo!

Until next time <3

No comments:

Post a Comment